Since beginning the Trim Healthy Mama way of eating in January, I've already lost 15 pounds! I love that I am feeling better every day and that we don't need to feel deprived in this lifestyle. I still get to bake and enjoy dessert! I've begun slowly updating some of our favorite family desserts, so here's the first! The old recipe called for a cup of sugar and unbleached flour, but this healthier version tastes just as good to me and I don't need to feel bad about having one with my sweetheart after our Valentines Day dinner tonight! I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
Peppermint Shortbread Cookies (THM friendly- S)
Makes about 2 dozen depending on the size
2 1/4 cups THM baking blend (can substitute coconut or almond flour as well)
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons Truvia (or 6 tablespoons Gentle Sweet, or 1 cup Splenda)
1 cup unsalted butter (softened, chopped into small pieces)
a couple drops of red food coloring (optional- only if you want them pink)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together all ingredients with your hands until well mixed and pat down into a disk.3. Lick fingers clean- yum! (this step is optional, but who in their right mind would skip it?!)
4. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1-2 hours if you want to roll out and use cookie cutters.
5. Shape into walnut sized balls and flatten or roll out and cut with cookie cutters.6. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet or one covered with parchment paper for 7-10 minutes, but DO NOT BROWN!
7. Cool completely and then drizzle with melted Lilly's chocolate if desired.