Paula Deen to make this version. Brimming with layer upon layer of flavors and with just the right amount of kick, my family loved eating it spooned over hot rice! Authentic or not, I think this gumbo would make any Southern princess happy!
2 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons butter, divided
1 large onion, chopped finely
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 bunch flat leaf parsley, stems and leaves, coarsely chopped, plus chopped leaves for garnish
4 cups beef broth
1 can (14-ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
2 cups frozen sliced okra
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove to a large bowl.
3. Add sliced sausage and cook until browned, then remove to the large bowl with the chicken.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the oil, sprinkle flour on top, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until brown.
5. Reduce eat to low and melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter into the flour mixture. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and cook for about 10 minutes, until beginning to soften.
6. Add Worcestershire sauce and the parsley. Cook, stirring frequently, for another 10 minutes.
7. Add beef broth, chicken, and sausage. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
8. Add canned tomatoes with juice and frozen okra. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
9. Just before serving garnish with chopped parsley and serve over hot steamed rice. Enjoy!