Orange Glazed Mini Scones
Orange Glazed Mini Scones (Adapted slightly from Gingerbread Bagels)
Makes 16 mini scones
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest.
2. Add in the cold butter and use a pastry cutter to work butter into the flour mixture until it looks like small peas.
3. Whisk together the cream and eggs and slowly add to the mixing bowl until dough is combined.
4. Dump the dough onto a floured cutting board and divide into 2 parts. Pat each half into a circle about 1/2 inch thick and cut each circle into 8 wedges.
5. Place the scones on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Brush each scone with egg wash and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
6. Cool the scones on a cooling rack for 15 minutes while you whisk together the orange glaze. Drizzle the glaze over cooled scones and enjoy!