I saw this recipe on Babble.com and was instantly intrigued with the idea of a moist and healthy 'fried chicken' covered with a crispy layer of seasoned nuts! I adapted the recipe a bit and served this tasty chicken with some pasta covered in homemade spinach pesto - a quick and easy, super classy, and definitely delicious weeknight dinner!
Pistachio Crusted Chicken Breast
3/4 cup shelled pistachios (not salted)
3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg and 2 tablespoons water
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a food processor, combine pistachios, panko, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Pulse until the texture is that of small crumbs, pour into a shallow dish, and set aside.
2. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
3. In a shallow dish, beat the egg and water together to create an egg wash.
4. Dip each chicken breast first in the egg wash on both sides, then in the pistachio mixture, pressing the coating firmly onto both sides of the chicken.
5. Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet topped with a cooling rack (this allows it to crisp on both sides, instead of just the top).
6. Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool slightly before serving.