Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes with Blackberry Puree
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
Makes about 16
4 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
zest of 2 lemon, about 2 teaspoons
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup poppy seeds
1. In a measuring cup, combine lemon juice and milk, stir, and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add sugar and lemon zest and rub together with your fingers until fragrant.
3. To the sugar/lemon zest mixture add baking powder, salt, flour, and poppy seeds and stir to combine.
4. Pour in the milk mixture, butter, and beaten eggs into the dry ingredients and stir gently just until combined.
5. Butter and heat a skillet and drop batter by 1/4 cup scoops onto it.
6. Cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, then serve hot with prepared blackberry puree.
Makes 1 cup
2 pints ripe blackberries
1. Place washed blackberries in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth.
2. Press mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds and then use puree immediately or store in a container in the fridge until ready to use. (If your blackberries are quite tart, you can also add a couple tablespoons of honey to sweeten up the puree.)