Wanting an easy snack for a party we were hosting, but not wanting to turn on the oven, I decided to make a batch of Puppy Chow. Because it's been so hot lately, I decided to do a lighter, more summery version than normal and came up with this twist on the traditional Chex Lemon Buddies recipe, using oranges from my grandpa's tree rather than the typical lemons. The result was a delicious, citrusy snack that everyone loved, loaded with fresh orange zest and lots of white chocolate!
Zesty Orange Puppy Chow
6 cups Rice Chex or similar type cereal
1 1/4 cups white chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter
5 tablespoons grated orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2-3 cups powdered sugar
1. In a large bowl, measure out rice cereal and set aside.
2. In a glass bowl, add butter, chocolate chips, zest and juice.
3. Microwave on high for one minute, stir well, then microwave again at 15 second intervels until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
4. Immedietly pour over cereal and gently toss with 2 forks to coat each piece.
5. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of coated cereal and toss again to coat each piece, or dump into a bag and shake it all up.
6. Spread out on wax paper until cool and enjoy immedietly or store in an airtight container for later. (We kept ours in the fridge, so it was even more refreshing! Yum!)