Kung Pao Pizza
I love celebrating holidays from different cultures with the Munchkins because it not only is a great opportunity for them to learn about other countries and traditions, but it's a great chance to try new foods! Chinese New Year is celebrated this year from February 10-24 this year and I had the chance to create a recipe to celebrate using products from Thai Kitchen and Simply Asia! I decided to put an Asian twist on a family favorite and make pizza with all the ingredients in a typical kung pao chicken! Pre-made pizza dough and ready-to-use spicy, flavorful sauce make this delicious dish quick and easy enough to make any day of the week!
Kung Pao Pizza
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced
1 carrot, julienned (cut into matchstick sized pieces)
1 pound of prepared pizza dough (I usually get mine from Safeway's deli or from Trader Joe's)
1 pouch Simply Asia Kung Pao Sauce
1 cup shredded mozzerella
1 chicken breast, cooked and diced
1/4 cup salted roasted peanuts, chopped finely
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and stretch out pizza dough into a 12 inch square on a greased baking sheet.
2. Spread 1/4 cup of Simply Asia Kung Pao Sauce evenly accross the surface of the dough and top with the shredded mozzerella.
3. Heat oil in a medium sized skillet, add peppers and carrots, and cook until crisp tender.
4. Add cooked chicken breast pieces and the remaining Simply Asia Kung Pao Sauce to the veggies and stir over medium heat until everything is well coated with sauce and sizzling.
5. Spread the chicken and veggie mixture evenly accross the surface of the cheese covered pizza dough and sprinkle the finely chopped peanuts over the top.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown, then slice and enjoy!
For more great Chinese New Year recipes check out Thai Kitchen's website, Pinterest, and facebook page or Simply Asia's website, Pinterest, and facebook page.
"At Thai Kitchen and Simply Asia, we’ve made your favorite Asian flavors available to enjoy anytime and anywhere. From noodles to sauces and seasonings, coconut milk to fish sauce, our premium products deliver restaurant-quality Asian cuisine in minutes. Our ingredients and recipes offer simple solutions to spice up any celebration - and what better time to “thai” new dishes than Chinese New Year? The traditional 15-day celebration kicks off February 10, 2013, and is a perfect reason to gather a group of friends and try tasty Asian cuisine. From mild to spicy, appetizers to dessert, Thai Kitchen and Simply Asia have something for every taste bud, sure to please even the most discerning palates. The aromatic essences. The exotic flavors. The abundant texture. There’s no culinary experience that compares to Asian cuisine – whether you’re preparing a meal for the whole family or looking for a quick snack, we’re here to bring the adventure to your kitchen."