This is my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe! I add a tiny hint of cinnamon to Pioneer Woman's chocolate sheet cake recipe and guests always comment on how moist and delicious they are. Because my birthday girl loves pink, I made my typical cream cheese frosting for on top, but used strawberry cream cheese to add flavor and pretty pink color without any artificial dyes. Topped with a cute Minnie Mouse Oreo Head, these birthday cupcakes made my little 3 year old very happy!
Moist Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese FrostingMakes 2 dozen
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
3/4 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar and 1/2 cup milk allowed to sit for 15 minutes)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan, while you boil water in a separate pot
2. Add cocoa powder to melted butter and mix well.
3. Add boiling water and allow to bubble for 30 seconds, then remove from heat and set aside
4. In a bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
5. Add chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients and stir together a little to cool chocolate.
6. In a separate bowl combine beaten eggs, buttermilk, and baking soda.
7. Add the buttermilk/egg mixture to the chocolate/flour mixture and stir together until smooth.
8. Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
9. Allow to cool completely while you prepare the frosting.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces of strawberry cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
1. Beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth and fluffy.
2. Add vanilla and powdered sugar slowly, beating until the frosting is completely smooth.
3. Use immediately or refrigerate until later. (If you refrigerate, allow it to soften at room temperature to become spreadable, before you attempt to frost with it.)