This pesto risotto is a perfect side dish to a good piece of fish or chicken, or even on it's own for lunch! I used homemade Spinach Pesto, but you can use your favorite jar brand as well!
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (or 1/2 tablespoon onion powder)
1 cup of dry Risotto/ Arborio rice
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) of low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Pesto plus extra to serve
1. In a medium saucepan, combine onion, oil, and butter and saute for 3 minutes.
2. Add risotto and saute for another 2 minutes.
3. Stir in one cup of broth and the white wine and continue cooking and stirring occasionally while simmering until broth is mostly absorbed.
4. Gradually stir in remaining broth one cup at a time, allowing liquid to be absorbed before adding more
5. After liquid has been absorbed and risotto is tender, remove from heat, stir in cheese and 1/2 cup pesto.
6. Serve risotto with an additional teaspoon of pesto slightly swirled on top off each portion and enjoy immediately!