Healthy Fat-Free Zucchini Bread
Makes 2 loaves or 24 muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups unbleached flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
4 cups shredded zucchini, loosely packed
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup egg whites (or 3 eggs)
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease 2 loaf pans or 2 muffin tins.
2. In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and stir to mix everything.
3. Add zucchini, applesauce, egg whites (or eggs), and vanilla and stir gently until completely combined.
4. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans and bake muffin tins for 25 minutes or loaf pans for 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Enjoy cold, or top with butter and honey and warm in the microwave for a few seconds as a tasty treat!